Intro to NGINX
What is NGINX?
NGINX is a free, open-source, high-performance web server with a rich feature set, simple configuration, and low resource consumption that can also function as a reverse proxy, load balancer, mail proxy, HTTP cache, and many other things.
How NGINX is working?
NGINX allows you to hide a server application's complexity from a front-end application. It uses an event-driven, asynchronous approach to create a new process for each web request, with requests handled in a single thread.
Using NGINX with FLOWX Designer
The NGINX Ingress Controller for Kubernetes -
ingress-nginx is an ingress controller for Kubernetes using NGINX as a reverse proxy and load balancer.
Ingress allows you to route requests to services based on the host or path of the request, centralizing a number of services into a single entry point.
The ingress resource simplifies the configuration of SSL/TLS termination, HTTP load-balancing, and layer routing.
For more information, check the following section:»Using NGINX as a K8S ingress controller
Integrating with FLOWX Designer
FLOWX Designer is using NGINX ingress controller for the following actions:
- For routing calls to plugins
- For routing calls to the FLOWX Engine:
- Viewing current instances of processes running in the FLOWX engine
- Testing process definitions from the FLOWX Designer - route the API calls and WebSocket communications to the FLOWX engine backend
- Accessing REST API of the backend microservice
- For configuring the Single Page Application (SPA) - FLOWX Designer SPA will use the backend service to manage the platform via REST calls
In the following section, you can find a suggested NGINX setup, the one used by FLOWX.AI:»Designer setup guide
Installing NGINX Open Source
For more information on how to install NGINX Open Source, check the following guide:»NGINX Install Guide